We’re one of the UK’s fastest growing cities
- We’re predicted to outperform the national economy over the next 20 years, increasing our output by £9bn annually (growth of almost 50 per cent) and creating an additional 68,000 jobs.
- We have more than 760,000 inhabitants speaking 170 different languages.
- We’re the third largest city in England and have the second highest population of any UK local authority area.
- The University of Leeds has created more than 100 spinout companies, and more AIM (London Stock Exchange) listed firms than any other university in the UK.
- Leeds city region, the largest outside London, is home to 119,000 businesses.
- The city region’s current economic output of £64.6bn equates to 5 per cent of UK output.
We’re already a hub for digital innovation
- We have 22 per cent of all digital health jobs in England.
- We have a unique Leeds Care Record connecting the data from half a million patient records.
- We’re home to 160 med-tech and health informatics companies, one of the largest such sectors in the UK.
- Our railway station is the busiest transport hub in the North of England.
- Our airport is one of the fastest growing in the UK.
- We’re in the top five destinations for UK tourism, attracting over 26 million visitors a year.
- We’re one of Lonely Planet’s top ten European destinations for summer 2017.
- We have the largest concentration of financial and professional services and digital jobs in the UK outside London.
We’re a learning city
- Our universities host more than 63,000 students from 151 countries.
- We have one of the UK’s largest further education colleges.
- We have a world-class academic community delivering excellence in health innovation and research.
We have a strong health and care sector
Our health and care sector has a straightforward organisational infrastructure – three NHS Trusts, a single commissioning voice and one local authority.
We’re home to several major, national health organisations including:
- NHS England
- NHS Digital
- Public Health England
- Health Education England
- NHS Employers
- NHS Leadership Academy
- National Institute for Health Research’s Clinical Research Network Co-Ordinating Centre.
We’re at the forefront of health and care innovation
- We have ‘health and medical’ as one of the seven core priorities in the Leeds Growth Strategy.
- We’re building a strong health science network supported by two major industry clusters – digital health and analytics, and medical technology.
- We have the Medical Research Council’s Medical Bioinformatics Centre within the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics.
- We have the Leeds Care Record, a secure virtual health and social care record which connects the data of half a million patients to their GP, hospital and social care services.
- We’re launching the University of Leeds’ £40 million Nexus innovation hub. This state-of-the-art building will enable businesses and other external organisations to innovate, collaborate and access the skills and talent required to support their growth.
For more information visit Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership.